DWI crashes are more common than you think. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a person is injured in a drunk driving car accident every two minutes in the Unites States. That’s 30 people an hour, 720 people a day, and more than 200,000 people every year.
As if this weren’t enough, many of these DWI-induced injuries aren’t just one-off aches and pains. They’re debilitating, long-term injuries that stay with the victim for many years (or even a lifetime) to come.
Don’t believe us? Here are the most common injuries our Dallas DWI lawyers see in these cases:
- Brain injuries – It doesn’t get much worse than these. In accidents involving drunk drivers, unfortunately, they’re quite common. The driver’s head is thrown against the steering wheel, the passenger’s head is hit on the dashboard, or the sheer impact of the collision causes the brain to detach inside the skull. These sorts of injuries can lead to lifelong cognitive impairment, affecting a person’s speech, vision, memory, thinking capacity and even emotions. In less severe cases, DWI accidents can cause concussions – another type of brain injury. Symptoms of these include dizziness, confusion, nausea and headaches. While a concussion’s side effects may pass after a few months, many victims do experience permanent problems as a result of their concussion.
- Neck injuries – Neck injuries are common, too – especially cases of whiplash. When whiplash occurs, the force of impact causes the ligaments and muscles between the skull and neck to get stretched. This causes significant pain, which often radiates down to the back, arms and other parts of the body, too. DWI crashes can also lead to other types of neck injuries, including broken necks, crushed larynxes, and damaged trachea. These injuries can cause long-term problems with breathing and talking, or they could even lead to death.
- Chest injuries – In DWI car accidents that involve high speed or head-on collisions, chest injuries are quite common. The force of impact from the car accident can cause the ribs, breastbone or clavicle to get crushed in between the seat and steering wheel. If the person is not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, hitting the airbag, dashboard or steering wheel can also cause these injuries on impact as well. Unfortunately, injuries to the chest are very difficult to manage. They take long periods of time to heal, during which the victim is unable to walk, move or get around. In serious cases, broken ribs or chest bones can even puncture internal organs, like the lungs, stomach or heart. This results in permanent, life-long injury – or death. Taking on these cases is quite difficult to navigate, but our Dallas lawyers have both the empathy and the determination to take a solid stance.
- Leg and Knee Injures – Because the legs are trapped underneath the dashboard, they can very easily be injured when a front-side collision occurs. In minor cases, this can cause bruising or bleeding. In serious ones, it can lead to multiple fractures, torn ligaments and long-lasting knee injuries. These can cause issues with walking, running and even just going up and down the stairs at work.
- Back injuries – Back injuries, particularly injuries to the spine and spinal cord, are some of the most serious injuries you can sustain in a DWI car accident. Slipped, ruptured and broken discs can cause agony for victims, and they can even puncture the spinal cord and cause lifelong nerve damage. DWI car accidents can also lead to back sprains, strains and injuries to the muscles within. And the worst part? These often don’t show their face until days or weeks after the accident, making it nearly impossible to pin the blame on the other driver.
The moral of the story? Drunk driving can have some pretty serious – and painful – consequences. It can cause victims awful, debilitating injuries that completely change the course of their lives and the lives of their loved ones. If you or someone you love was injured by a drunk driver in Texas, don’t suffer in silence. Contact us and let the Dallas DWI lawyers at Franklin Law Firm get you the justice and compensation deserved for your suffering.